Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Recipe of the week

Ok, so I haven't posted anything in a whole week. Ever since we got back from Colorado I feel like I have been playing catch-up. I'm at home with a sick baby today, so now is a good time to do anything but stuff that I need to do (clean my house, do laundry, etc.). On a whim, I decided to make stuffed bell peppers. I think that I may have eaten one some time in college but, other than that, I have no experience with making or eating them. I found a recipe for pizzeria peppers from Cooking Light and I just happen to have four bell peppers from the farmer' s market (I am obsessed), so I decided to make a few and freeze them so I would have a "microwave dinner" on hand. Maybe this will keep me from pigging out on goldfish, chocolate chips, or dry cereal instead of eating an actual meal.















Sausage and Squash Stuffed Bell Peppers
3 medium green bell peppers
3 links of turkey italian sausage
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. chopped yellow squash
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. myspicesage pizza seasoning
1 1/2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
10 oz. tomato puree
1/3 c. shredded mozz. cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degress. Cut tops and membranes out of the bell peppers and drop them in a large pot of boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes then remove and place them hole-side down on a plate to drain. Combine sausage, onions, and garlic in a large pan and saute over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes. Add squash and dry seasonings and cook until squash is tender. Add parmesan cheese and tomato sauce and cook until warmed through. Spoon filling into bell peppers and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake in a greased 8-inch baking pan for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment