Thursday, July 16, 2009

Yummy Cajun red beans and rice

I made this super scrumptious dinner last night and I wanted to share it with y'all. I got this amazingly easy recipe from Cooking Light several months ago when I was craving red beans and rice. I usually just browse through recipes and save them to my different online recipe books hoping to one day remember them. I was reorganizing my CL recipes last week and I stumbled across this one. I modified it to fit what I had in the fridge and my modifications worked out beautifully. I will post the way that I made it and the link to the original recipe. I hope that somebody makes this! The link for the original recipe is posted in my "Things I've made recently" list.

Cajun Red Beans and Rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup each chopped yellow bell pepper, celery, and onion
2 links of habanero and monterey jack chicken sausage, chopped
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 c water
1 can red beans, partially mashed
1 package of prepared yellow rice

Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add chopped veggies and sausage. Saute for about 4 minutes or until the sausage is browned and veggies start to get soft. Add the next 4 ingredients (spices and garlic) and saute for about 1 or 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water, and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve over the yellow rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment