Sunday, July 5, 2009

Yummy granola bars

Isabelle has been sick for about three days and she asked me for granola bars today. I am such a sucker that I made some for her immediately and then she refused to eat any. She actually took a bite and then spit it out, the little grump. Anyway, I didn't spit any of it out, unfortunately! I think they're great. I got the recipe from recipezaar, but I made some changes, of course. You can pretty much add anything you want, need, or can imagine. I hope y'all like it!




Granola Bars
4 c. oats
3/4 c. sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. oat bran
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients (oats through salt). Melt butter in a small sauce pan over low-medium heat. Add the sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, honey, and flour and stir to combine. Turn the heat to medium and stir occasionally so the mixture doesn't burn or stick. Once it gets warm, stir in the peanut butter. Grease a 9 x 13" baking pan and line it with aluminum foil and grease the foil. Bring the butter mixture to a boil and let it boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Pour over the dry mixture and stir. Make sure that it is evenly mixed and that all of the dry ingredients are coated. Let the mixture cool until slightly warm and stir in the chocolate chips. I didn't wait long enough so all of my chips melted. Tastes good, but I like them whole! Press the mixture into the prepared pan and top with a greased piece of foil. Find another pan, board, book, whatever, that fits in the pan over the bars and press down firmly to compact the mixture. You can even stand on it! Cut into bars and cool completely. They will be soft, but they firm up after a while. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment